SLIP SLIDING AWAY: SOMETIMES VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY NO MATCH FOR TREACHEROUS WINTER CONDITIONS
CARSTAR Auto Body Repair Experts Offers Tips on How to Keep Your Car Safe and on the Road
CHARLOTTE (December 6, 2017) — Cold weather can create some of the harshest driving conditions of the year. And, the months between October and February top the list for accidents, vehicle damage and injuries.
“Advanced safety technology is a great development, but it’s no match for Mother Nature with her icy roads and snow drifts,” says Dean Fisher, COO for CARSTAR Auto Body Repair Experts. “With proper preparation, some preventative driving measures and an eye on the weather report, drivers can protect themselves and their vehicles during the winter months.”
The experts on winter driving accidents, CARSTAR Auto Body Repair Experts, repairs thousands of vehicles each year damaged in snowy, icy accidents. Here are a few helpful tips to make winter driving safer.
Check Your Visibility:
- Add de-icer to your windshield wiper fluid
- Make sure your windshield wipers are free of ice before heading out on the road – and consider updating with new flexible windshield wipers before the snow hits
- Make sure all mirrors are clear and properly adjusted for visibility
- Clean your headlights and check the bulbs in all of your vehicle lights – front and rear
Slow Down and Stay Back:
- When there is snow or ice on the ground, drop your speed to a safe limit
- Leave extra distance between your vehicle and the car in front of you for additional safety
- Do not use cruise control on icy roads
- Use caution on bridges, overpasses, and infrequently traveled roads because these may be slippery from ice
- Use extra caution when driving on one-lane roads
If your rear wheels skid…
- Take your foot off the accelerator
- Steer in the direction you want the front wheels to go. If your rear wheels are sliding left, steer left. If they’re sliding right, steer right
- If your rear wheels start sliding the other way as you recover, ease the steering wheel toward that side. You might have to steer left and right a few times to get your vehicle completely under control
- If you have standard brakes, pump them gently
- If you have anti-lock brakes (ABS), do not pump the brakes. Apply steady pressure to the brakes. You will feel the brakes pulse — this is normal
If your front wheels skid…
- Take your foot off the gas and shift to neutral, but don’t try to steer immediately.
- As the wheels skid sideways, they will slow the vehicle and traction will return. As it does, steer in the direction you want to go. Then put the transmission in “drive” or release the clutch, and accelerate gently
Prepare for a Snow Day:
- If your vehicle has rear wheel drive, put bags of sand or kitty litter to help keep your vehicle easier to control
- Pack a snow day kit just in case you get stuck. Important items to include are a blanket, gloves, hat, water, granola bars, flashlight and extra batteries, extra cell phone battery, flares, wooden matches in waterproof container, compass, scissors, rope and first aid kit.
- Prepare a toolbox for digging your car out with foldable shovel, 2×4 planks to put under tires, ice scraper and snow brush, reflective triangles, flares and exterior windshield cleaner
If the unfortunate winter accident does occur, CARSTAR recommends having a collision plan in place so you aren’t stranded on the roadside waiting for assistance. CARSTAR Auto Body Repair Experts offers high-quality, reliable repair service in 32 states and 10 Canadian provinces. Just call 1-800-CARSTAR when you have an accident and they will send the tow truck, contact your insurance company, arrange for a rental car and repair your car. For information and store locations visit http://www.CARSTAR.com.
CARSTAR Auto Body Repair Experts— a part of the Driven Brands, Inc. family of automotive aftermarket franchise brands — is North America’s largest Multi-Shop Operator Network of independently owned collision repair facilities with more than 500 locations in 32 states and 10 Canadian provinces. CARSTAR delivers national scale, consistently high-quality vehicle repairs, repeatable outcomes and the industry’s highest customer satisfaction ratings; all repairs are backed by a national warranty and service guarantee. CARSTAR was named the No. 1 largest MSO in North America by The Romans Group LLC and ranked 108th on Franchise Times® annual Top 200™ ranking of the largest franchise systems in North America. For more information visit www.carstar.com and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
CARSTAR Franchise Systems, Inc. is committed to facilitating the accessibility and usability of content and features on its website, including this blog. While CARSTAR Franchise Systems, Inc. has undertaken efforts to improve the accessibility of this blog, content is frequently posted and some content may be posted by third-parties, not CARSTAR Franchise Systems, Inc., and so may not be accessible to certain users. If you have questions or concerns regarding the accessibility of this blog, please contact us via the contact section of our Accessibility Statement here.