Rush to Remove Winter Damage
Dealing with a major snow or ice storm usually involves shoveling the driveway, putting out salt on the front walk, checking for frozen spigots and dealing with downed power lines. But helping your car thaw out from a big storm is just important – and can have long-term benefits to your vehicle’s look and performance.
Winter weather can be incredibly harsh on a car, inflicting potentially thousands of dollars of damage if left unchecked:
- The brine, salt and sand used on roads can leave lasting damage on the undercarriage of your car, and can eat away at paint finishes, leaving a dull, unprotected paint job.
- This same sludge gets tracked into the interior of the vehicle, creating dull, dingy carpets and upholstery.
- Simple dings and dents can worsen in cold weather, as paint chips off and metal is exposed to the elements where rust can develop.
- Cold temperatures can cause rubber components and plastic trim and surfaces to harden, crack and fade, such as windshield wipers, door handles, fenders and bumpers.
When the weather is cold and snowy, you need to make taking care of your car as much a priority as protecting your home. Your neighborhood body shop can help keep your vehicle looking good and protected from the elements, and help you address minor winter damage before it becomes a major problem.
The key is to take your vehicle to your local body shop for a thorough detailing and repairs as soon as the snow stops. There, they can:
- Give it a good bath with car wash soap to remove brine, salt and sand without removing wax protection. This involves cleaning all the wheel wells, undercarriage and engine compartment where these road elements can cause damage and rust.
- Remove scratches, dings and dents before rust sets in.
- Repair any signs of rust damage and repaint the affected areas.
- Give the car a good protective coat of synthetic wax, which chemically bonds with clear coat finishes and keeps the car’s finish looking good all winter.
- Clean and protect the upholstery with a leather and vinyl restorer and clean the car’s carpet with a high-quality carpet cleaner then protect from additional winter salt and dirt with a protective spray.
If the unfortunate winter accident does occur, CARSTAR recommends having a collision plan in place so you aren’t stranded on the roadside waiting for assistance. CARSTAR Auto Body Repair Experts offers high-quality, reliable repair service in 30 states and 10 Canadian provinces. Just call 1-800-CARSTAR when you have an accident and they will send the tow truck, contact your insurance company, arrange for a rental car and repair your car. For information and store locations visit www.CARSTAR.com.