Make Sure Your Repair Is Done Right
CARSTAR Auto Body Repair Experts and BASF Offer Tips to Ensure Your Quality Collision Repair
Your vehicle is all repaired and ready to roll, but how do you know if the repair was done correctly? There are some simple steps you should take to review what’s been repaired on your car and ensure everything is operating like it should be.
- When picking up your vehicle, allow at least 30 minutes to complete the process
- You should ask to review the vehicle with the person who wrote the estimate or delivers the repair to the customer
- Be prepared to ask questions and don’t be afraid to take the time necessary to review the repairs
- Take a copy of the original estimate with you and compare against the final bill
- Review the final bill and make sure they explain it to you. The final bill should be detailed (they should walk around the vehicle with you)
- Make sure you get a warranty for the repairs and understand where the warranty is good at and what the limitations are
- If it is raining ask to inspect the car inside or undercover – clear off the rain to see the paint
- Ensure all of the new parts were installed where possible
- Make sure the paint matches in direct sunlight. A high-quality paint like BASF will deliver a much better paint match and a seamless repair
- Inspect the gaps around the doors, trunk lid and hood. Gaps should be uniform
- Open the doors/trunk/hood and inspect for polish/rubbing compound
- Check the mileage (Most vehicle need to be test driven so there will be some miles driven by the repairer)
- Check the fuel level (should have been noted at drop-off)
- If your vehicle needed an alignment, get a copy of the before and after printout (should be in factory specification tolerances)
- If your vehicle had any structural damage get a copy of the before and after printout (should be in factory specification tolerances)
- Check to make sure radio works
- Turn on the heater and A/C blower fan (be careful because debris may come out of vents)
- Inspect all dash warning lights to make sure none are on
- Check the vehicle external lights if replaced
- Check your warranty to fully understand your coverage
When your car is being repaired, you need to make sure it is repaired correctly before you leave the service center. You should double-check all of the repaired areas before you pay the final bill and accept the car. Once you’ve paid, you have less recourse in getting any problems fixed. Your best solution is to go to a reliable collision repair center that provides a warranty for their work.
It’s also important to make sure the area repaired matches perfectly with your car’s paint color. If not, what is the repair shop willing to do? The BASF Glasurit and R-M paint repair systems are approved by virtually every OEM to help ensure quality color matching.
CARSTAR Franchise Systems, Inc. is committed to facilitating the accessibility and usability of content and features on its website, including this blog. While CARSTAR Franchise Systems, Inc. has undertaken efforts to improve the accessibility of this blog, content is frequently posted and some content may be posted by third-parties, not CARSTAR Franchise Systems, Inc., and so may not be accessible to certain users. If you have questions or concerns regarding the accessibility of this blog, please contact us via the contact section of our Accessibility Statement here.